Carpenter Ants nest in wood and can cause serious damage to our homes. Runways and galleries are excavated in wood timbers. Old and new structures may be infested, and sound as well as decayed, wet wood attacked.
Carpenter Ants do not eat wood but feed on a wide variety of plant and animal material.
Colonies of Carpenter Ants often contain a main colony and several to many satellite colonies. Their nests can be found in a wide variety of locations. Carpenter Ants are primarily nocturnal.
Preventing an infestation of Carpenter Ants:
- Keep vegetation away from the immediate vicinity of buildings
- Prevent wood-soil contact.
- Ventilating to prevent moisture accumulation.
- Stacking wood off the ground away from buildings.
- Repairing leaks in roofs and gutters.